Iran says no troops killed in suspected Israeli airstrike

A military official said that the reports are “a sheer lie,” according to Iran’s IRNA news agency.
Airstrike in Iran. Wikimedia Commons.

An Iranian military official denied on Saturday that any of Tehran’s troops in Syria were killed in the latest airstrike that has been attributed to Israel by foreign sources. Iran’s IRNA news agency said that the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, claimed that the reports about nine Iranian military officials being killed in the attack were “a sheer lie and quite baseless.”

The airstrike, which was carried out late Thursday night, targeted Iranian bases near Homs that are manned by the Hezbollah terrorist group, a military official told the Syrian Arab News Agency. However, the source stressed that the Israeli missiles had been intercepted by Syria’s air defense systems.

While Syria and Iran are claiming that the IDF was behind the attack, Israel has refused to comment on the reports, and a spokesperson for the Pentagon stressed neither the US nor its allies had attacked Syria.

In the past, the IDF has stated that it is its policy not to comment on foreign reports. However, earlier this month, the IDF took credit for an attack on Iranian forces in Syria after they launched dozens of rockets at Israel’s Golan Heights. Four of the rockets were shot down while the rest fell short of the Israeli border.

A few hours later, Israel responded by launching a large-scale attack against dozens of Iranian targets in Syria. Among the targets were intelligence sites, military bases and weapons depots in the Syrian Golan Heights and near Damascus. The Israeli military stated that the Israeli Air Force strikes severely weakened Iran’s military infrastructure in Syria, crowning the air raids “a great success.”

The attack was one of the largest the IAF has carried out in recent years. “What we did last night is just the tip of the iceberg of the IDF’s capabilities, and it looks like the Iranians got the message,” IDF Spokesperson Brigadier-General Ronen Manelis told Army Radio shortly after the attack. The senior military official added that the Israeli strikes successfully set back the Iranian forces “by many months.”



Click Here for more reports by Becca Noy

Found mistakes in this report? - Click Here

JerusalemOnline News Feed