White House releases statement condemning Assad, Russia for attacking civilians

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said on Sunday) that the military achievements in Eastern Ghouta occurred during truce periods. In response, the White House said Russia is “[killing] civilians under the false auspices of counterterrorism operations.”
Syria President Assad with Russian President Putin Photo credit: Wikipedia

In spite of a five-hour daily ceasefire ordered by Russian President Vladimir Putin, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said that the military will continue its operations in the rebel-held Eastern Ghouta region. Speaking to journalists on Sunday, Assad clarified that the operation in the region will continue, various media outlets have reported, citing Syrian state television. He also claimed that the advancements so far occurred during the truce.

In response to Assad’s comments, the White House released a statement that condemned the violence and accused the Russian and Syrian regimes of targeting civilians "as part of a brutal campaign."

In response to Assad’s comments, the White House released a statement that condemned the violence and accused the Russian and Syrian regimes of targeting civilians "as part of a brutal campaign."

"This is the same combination of lies and indiscriminate force that Russia and the Syrian regime used to isolate and destroy Aleppo in 2016, where thousands of civilians were killed," the statement said. The White House further said that Russia is continuing "to ignore its terms and to kill civilians under the false auspices of counterterrorism operations."



Click Here for more reports by Jonathan Farhi

Found mistakes in this report? - Click Here

JerusalemOnline News Feed