EU tells Iran it remains committed to nuclear deal
Iranian FM accuses EU of not doing enough to save nuclear dealIn the weeks since US President Donald Trump announced his decision to withdraw from the nuclear deal, Europe has not done enough to save it, Iran’s top diplomat charged on Sunday in a meeting with a senior EU official.
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said on Sunday that the European Union is not doing enough to save the nuclear deal in the aftermath of the American withdrawal.
According to Iran’s IRNA news agency, Tehran’s top diplomat told EU energy chief Miguel Arias Canete that his country is now expecting more from the EU and “in the current context, the European political support for the accord is not sufficient.”
Yesterday, Arias Canete met with Iranian nuclear chief and Vice President Ali Akbar Salehi in Tehran. At a joint press conference, Arias Canete reassured Iran that Europe will remain committed to the 2015 nuclear deal as long as Tehran does the same.
Earlier this month, US President Donald Trump announced that he has decided to pull out of the deal, which was signed by his predecessor, five major world powers and Iran. As he revealed his decision, he credited Israel with uncovering the truth about Iran’s nuclear program plans.
“At the heart of the Iran deal was a giant fiction that a murderous regime desired only a peaceful nuclear energy program. Today, we have definitive proof that this Iranian promise was a lie. Last week, Israel published intelligence documents long concealed by Iran, conclusively showing the Iranian regime and its history of pursuing nuclear weapons,” he said. “The fact is this was a horrible, one-sided deal that should have never, ever been made. It didn’t bring calm, it didn’t bring peace, and it never will.”
Found mistakes in this report? - Click Here