18-year-old charged in connection with last week’s London explosion

On Friday, 18-year-old Iraqi refugee Ahmed Hassan was charged in connection with the London explosion in which 30 people were injured. Hassan has been accused of attempted murder and building a bomb.
Police in London after the attack Photo Credit: EPA-EFE

An 18-year-old man was charged at the Westminster Magistrates Court Friday with attempted murder and building a bomb after the explosion on a London Underground train last week. In the attack, 30 people were injured.

Ahmed Hassan, an Iraqi refugee living in Sunbury-on-Thames, was arrested the day after the attack. According to a spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police, Hassan was charged with “maliciously causing by triacetone triperoxide (TATP) or other explosive substance an explosion of a nature likely to endanger life” and “attempting to murder persons traveling on a District Line train from Wimbledon.”

Prosecutor Lee Ingham told the court that the defendant purchased the parts he used to make the bomb from Amazon. “There were many hundreds of grams of TATP in the device, an electronic timer and several containers of quantities of metal shrapnel including knives, screws and similar items clearly designed to cause severe injuries and death to those nearby,” she said.

Meanwhile, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said during an interview with the LBC radio station today that it was a good thing that the bomb failed to fully explode. “That was a very, very dangerous bomb,” he said. “It partially detonated, it had a large quantity of explosive, and it was packed with shrapnel. So, it could have been so much worse.”



Click Here for more reports by Becca Noy

Found mistakes in this report? - Click Here

JerusalemOnline News Feed