Japan: North Korea conducted nuclear missile test
North Korea confirms conducting ‘successful’ hydrogen bomb testNorth Korea has officially confirmed conducting a test on a hydrogen bomb much more destructive than a normal nuclear bomb, claiming that the bomb may be loaded onto an intercontinental ballistic missile.
This morning (Sunday), North Korea officially confirmed regional reports concerning a nuclear test, declaring that this was “a successful hydrogen bomb test,” just as many experts in the West feared. This is North Korea’s sixth nuclear test and the fourth under Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un’s reign.
Despite the blast’s intensity, which was felt throughout the region, North Korea claims that it did not cause any damage, not even radioactive. The isolated country said in an official statement that the test ordered by Kim Jong-un was “a perfect success.” The military move was called a “significant step” towards completing the country’s nuclear program.
North Korea’s official news agency added that Kim Jong-un supervised the development of the hydrogen bomb, which can be loaded onto an intercontinental ballistic missile. Furthermore, a North Korean official estimated that the blast’s magnitude was 100 kilotons – four to five times more powerful than the atomic bomb dropped over Nagasaki in 1945.
As reported earlier this morning by JOL, South Korea reported about a 6.3-magnitude earthquake felt in the region caused by North Korea’s sixth nuclear missile test. China called the earthquake a “suspicious explosion” while Japan declared it a nuclear blast and scrambled three aircraft in order to check for possible radiation.
Japan proclaimed that the earthquakes were 10 times more powerful than those caused by the previous nuclear test. “The nuclear test is unacceptable,” said Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. “We must strongly condemn and oppose it.” South Korea also said that the earthquake was “man-made” and condemned the aggressive step.
Found mistakes in this report? - Click Here