Rouhani slams US for 'hostile' approach, says Iran prepared for sanctions

In a statement delivered shortly after that of President Trump, the Iranian leader accused the US of violating its commitments and vowed to continue to abide by the 2015 agreement.
Rouhani Photo credit: Alireza Bahari, Wikimedia Commons

Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on Tuesday accused the US of violating its commitments, just moments after US President Donald Trump pulled his country out of the 2015 nuclear deal and signed the renewal of sanctions on Iran.

In a press conference, Rouhani attacked the Trump administration's "hostile approach" toward Iran and stressed that his country will continue to abide by the agreement. "Ever since the deal was planned, when, if ever, has the United States kept its promises?" he asked.

Rouhani added that Iran had been preparing for such a move for months. "This is a psychological war," he said, vowing not to let Trump win it. He also mentioned that the European parties in the deal had expressed a firm objection to Trump's anticipated move. "The only one supporting Trump's decision is the Zionist entity," he said, referring to Israel.

"I have instructed our foreign ministry to negotiate with European countries who are still committed to the deal, to see if Iran's interest are maintained or not," Rouhani added. "I've also ordered our Atomic Energy Organization to prepare for the renewal of nuclear activity, if we find it necessary."

Earlier on Tuesday, a senior commander in Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps said Iran is fully prepared for any decision Trump may announce. "Our nations does not fear American sanctions or a military attack," he said. "Our enemies – the Americans, the Zionists and their allies in the region – need to know Iran is ready for the worst possible scenarios."



Click Here for more reports by Omri Ariel

Found mistakes in this report? - Click Here

JerusalemOnline News Feed