South Korea disputes Pyongyang’s claims of ICBM re-entry capabilities

A South Korean lawmaker said that the National Intelligence Service is not fully convinced that the ICBM that North Korea tested last week successfully re-entered the atmosphere, according to South Korea’s Yonhap news agency. North Korea claimed after the trial that it successfully tested a nuclear-capable ICBM that re-entered the atmosphere.
North Korean missile launch (archive) Photo Credit: EPA

A South Korean lawmaker revealed on Tuesday that his country’s intelligence agency does not believe that the missile most recently tested by North Korea successfully re-entered the atmosphere, disputing Pyongyang’s claims.

According to South Korea’s Yonhap news agency, lawmaker Yi Wan-young also said that North Korea still has not fully developed an intercontinental ballistic missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead. Yi revealed the National Intelligence Service’s conclusions after meeting with agency officials.

JOL Store - Star of D - Click here to Buy online fine Jewish Jewelry made in Israel

Last week, North Korea claimed that it successfully tested a nuclear-capable ICBM that re-entered the atmosphere. The test was seen around the world as a serious advancement in Pyongyang’s missile program, which has continued despite the UN Security Council sanctions.

At the G20 Summit in Germany, US President Donald Trump met with both Japanese and South Korean officials to discuss taking additional measures against Pyongyang. Calling North Korea a “problem and a menace,” Trump met with Chinese President Xi Jinping to try to further encourage Beijing to place pressure on North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un to cease the development of nuclear weapons. The Trump administration ultimately hopes that China will join South Korea and Japan in enforcing trading sanctions on North Korea.



Click Here for more reports by Becca Noy

Found mistakes in this report? - Click Here

JerusalemOnline News Feed