Trump says use of military action in North Korea is not a 'first choice'

After being asked whether he still would consider using military action in North Korea in response to its race to create nuclear weapons, US President Donald Trump told reporters today (Wednesday) that it would not be his "first choice."
Trump sends softer message after last month's "fire and fury" Photo Credit: Reuters/Channel 2 News

Hours after speaking on the phone with Chinese President Xi Jinping, US President Donald Trump told reporters Wednesday that military action is not his “first choice” in dealing with North Korea. When asked if he still considers using military action, Trump replied: "We'll see what happens. We'll see what happens. Certainly that's not a first choice, but we'll see what happens."

"We will not be putting up with what's happening in North Korea. I believe that President Xi agrees with me 100%. We had a very, very frank and very strong phone call." Trump said from the White House's South Lawn.

As previously reported by JOL, this morning, satellite images of the North Korean nuclear test site showed that the intensity of the hydrogen bomb was so strong that the landscape moved. Russian President Vladimir Putin strongly condemned the experiment and said it was a “violation" of UN Security Council resolutions.

 

Nuclear test site in North Korea, before (right) and after (left) Photo Credit: Planet labs/Channel 2 News

Experts who analyzed the satellite images explained that the pictures show that the latest nuclear test by the isolated regime was extremely powerful in comparison to the five previous nuclear tests that were carried out thus far.

Japan, a country that has experienced the devastations of nuclear warfare, has warned against North Korea’s significant technological advancement. Tokyo has estimated that Pyongyang’s hydrogen bomb was 10 times as strong as the two bombs developed in the Manhattan Project and dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki by the US at the end of WWII.

Nuclear test site in North Korea, before (right) and after (left) Photo Credit: Planet labs/Channel 2 News

According to Japan’s Defense Ministry, the analysis of the earth’s movement at the test site shows that the amount of energy generated during the recent test was at least 160-kiloton strong, 40-kiloton more powerful than previous Pyongyang tests and no less than 105-kiloton stronger than the two bombs that destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Japanese Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera told reporters that the nuclear test was “the most powerful in comparison to previous tests” carried out by North Korea, a fact that proves the country’s significant advancement in its nuclear technology.



Click Here for more reports by Amit Boukai

Found mistakes in this report? - Click Here

JerusalemOnline News Feed