The 22-year-old Moroccan national suspected of being behind the wheel of the van that plowed into pedestrians in Barcelona last week may be in France, according to the Catalan police. “We don’t have any exact information but we cannot rule out the possibility,” Catalan police chief Josep Lluis Trapero said during a press conference.
Watch: Footage of the Barcelona terror attack
After already stating that the terrorist who apparently plowed a van into pedestrians in Barcelona was eliminated during an exchange of fire with police officers in Cambrils, Spanish police announced Sunday that the suspect may have crossed the border into France. “We don’t have any exact information but we cannot rule out the possibility,” Catalan police chief Josep Lluis Trapero said during a press conference.
The Spanish security forces said that according to its estimates, 22-year-old Moroccan national Younes Abouyaaqoub is the last suspect still at large. In recent days, the other suspects have been arrested or eliminated by police officers. Others were killed by an explosion a day before the terror attack. Spanish media outlets reported that while the authorities believe that Abouyaaqoub was the driver of the van, they cannot prove this suspicion at the moment.
Barcelona after the attack Photo credit: CNN/Channel 2 News
The spokesperson for the Catalan police stated yesterday: “If the question is whether we have at the moment information about additional terror attacks that were planned, the answer is no. There’s no tangible threat about a terror attack planned for the near future.”
He stated that the police force had been preparing for a long time for terror attacks and added that attacks similar to the Barcelona truck ramming will most likely continue. So far, four suspects have been arrested in connection with the two terror attacks.
As reported earlier by JOL News, a mass was held Sunday morning in memory of the victims of the tragic terror attacks in Barcelona and Cambrils in the cathedral of the Sagrada Familia. The King of Spain, the Spanish Prime Minister and other senior-level officials attended the service.
The scene of the attack in Barcelona Photo Credit: Sky News/Channel 2 News