If you are looking for a new recipe to make this Tu Bishvat, try Tnuva’s creamy pumpkin feta quiche. Made with dried cranberries and Tnuva cheese, your family will be requesting that you make this not just for Tu Bishvat.
Photo Credit: Tnuva
Tnuva is sharing a special recipe that will get your whole family excited about Tu Bishvat, which will be celebrated on Friday.
For the crust:
½ cup white flour
½ cup spelt flour
1 tbsp. sesame seeds
⅓ tsp. salt
75 grams of cold Tnuva Butter, cubed
1 medium egg
For the filling:
125 grams fresh pumpkin, peeled
100 grams Tnuva’s Crumbed Sheep Feta
1 pkg. Tnuva’s Creamy Soft Cheese, 9%
3 tbsp. chives, finely chopped
2 tbsp. mint, finely chopped
3 large egg yolks
2 tsp. corn flour
¼ ground black pepper
¼ cup dried cranberries
1 ½ tbsp. honey
Salt to taste
1. Sift the flour in the food processor. Add the sesame seeds, salt and cubed butter. Mix using the food processor pulse setting until the mixture is crumbly. Add the egg and continue to mix the dough until it clings as a unit to the food processor blades. Roll out the dough into a flat circle, wrap and let cool in the fridge for an hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius. Grease a round pie pan (22 cm diameter). Take the dough out of the fridge, roll out into a circle on a slightly floured surface. Line the pie pan with the dough and roll the rolling pin over the edges of the pan to cut off the surplus dough. Perforate the dough crust with a fork, fill the pan with dried white beans (to weight the crust down) and cover with tinfoil. Bake for 20 min. at 170 degrees Celsius, remove the tinfoil and the beans and bake the crust for another 15 min. until the crust is golden.
3. Once the crust is in the oven, roughly grate the pumpkin. Thoroughly drain the grated pumpkin and transfer it to a bowl and cut the feta cheese into 1/2 centimeter cubes.
4. After you’ve removed the crust from the oven, let it cool for several minutes. In a separate bowl, mix the creamy soft cheese, the chopped greens, the feta (leave a few cubes of cheese on the side for garnishing), 2 yolks, the corn flour, the black pepper and cranberries. Add the honey and the remaining yolk to the grated pumpkin, season lightly with salt and mix well. Add most of the grated pumpkin to the creamy cheese mixture, reserving 2-3 spoonfuls of pumpkin for garnishing. Add more salt to the mixture according to taste.
5. Pour the cheese mixture into the crust and smooth out. Sprinkle with extra feta and pumpkin. Bake for 45-50 min., until the filling stabilizes. Serve hot.