After the Palestinian Authority agreed to resume the payments for 50 megawatts of electricity to the Gaza Strip, Israeli Energy Minister Yuval Steinitz ordered that the power supply be restored Monday morning. Steinitz’s decision was condemned by the parents of fallen IDF soldier Hadar Goldin, whose remains are being held in Gaza by Hamas.
Children in Gaza Photo Credit: Abed Rahim Khatib/Flash 90
Israeli Energy Minister Yuval Steinitz has ordered that the power supply to the Gaza Strip be restored Monday morning. Steinitz instructed the Israel Electric Corporation to do so on Sunday evening after he discussed the matter with senior members of Israel’s security establishment.
Last week, the Palestinian media outlet Wafa reported that the Palestinian Authority has agreed to restore the power supply to Gaza for the almost two million residents of the coastal enclave. “In accordance with the orders of President Abu Mazen [Mahmoud Abbas], the government has decided to restore the supply of 50 megawatts of electricity to the Gaza Strip,” PA Prime Minister Rami Hamdallah’s office said in a statement.
In a separate statement, PA Civil Affairs Minister Hussein al-Sheikh said that Ramallah has asked Israel to fully restore the power supply to Gaza, thus ending a months-long period of a reduced power supply to Gaza. Before the crisis between the PA and Hamas over the electric power supply, the PA was paying the Israel Electric Corporation for 120 megawatts of power for Gaza.
The parents of Hadar Goldin, one of the wp fallen Israeli soldiers whose remains are being held by the Hamas terrorist group in Gaza, slammed Steinitz’s decision. “The government of Israel led by Netanyahu and the cabinet ministers decided today to surrender to Hamas and did not condition the restoration of the regular power supply to Gaza on the return of soldiers Oron Shaul and Hadar Goldin,” they said. “It is madness that the State of Israel abandons time after time the soldiers that it sent to battle.”