At least four gunmen attacked the five-story Intercontinental Hotel in the Afghan capital on Saturday night. Officials said security forces eliminated two of the shooters, who apparently seized hostages and fired at fleeing guests.
Scene of a terror attack in Kabul, December Photo Credit: EPA-EFE
At least four gunmen reportedly opened fire at guests in the Intercontinental Hotel in the Afghan capital Kabul on Saturday night, according to various reports. The terrorists apparently seized hostages and held them at the upper levels of the building. Reports quoted Afghan officials as saying that security forces eliminated two of the shooters.
Officials also reportedly said that foreign guests were staying at the hotel and that a fire broke out on the third floor of the building. Hotel manager Ahmad Haris Nayab told reporters that the gunmen entered the hotel through the kitchen.
Interior Ministry spokesman Najib Danish said in a statement that rescue services and Special Forces were at the scene of the attack. He also told reporters that suicide bombers were among the group of terrorists.
The Intercontinental Hotel was previously attacked by the Taliban in 2011. No group has claimed responsibly for the current attack yet.
As previously reported by JOL, ISIS claimed responsibility for a suicide bombing that took place in Kabul late December. At least 40 people were murdered and dozens more were injured in the attack.