One of the wonderful things about lasagna is how versatile it is. Try this refreshing version that the whole family is sure to love!
Photo Credit: Tnuva USA
Prep time: 45 min., makes 12 servings
1.5 medium-sized eggplants, peeled
5 zucchinis, peeled
2 medium-sized red bell peppers, seeded
2 carrots, peeled
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
8 basil leaves, chopped
Leaves from 2 thyme branches
Salt and pepper
3 ripe medium-sized tomatoes, quartered
70 grams Tnuva Butter
2 tbs. flour
500 ml. light cream
1/2 cup (120 ml.) milk
1 pckg. lasagna noodles, uncooked
100 grams Tnuva Goat Cheese
50 grams Tnuva Mozzarella, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Cut the eggplants, zucchinis, peppers and carrots into cubes (approx. 1×1 cm).
- Heat 4 tbs. of olive oil in a pan on a high flame. Sauté the cubed vegetables for about 20 minutes until they’re lightly softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chopped basil leaves and thyme leaves.
- Season with salt and pepper, sauté for another two minutes, and set aside to cool.
- Place the tomato quarters in a food processor and blend them.
- In a pan, melt the butter and add the flour. After about half a minute, add the cream and the tomatoes. Season with a dash of salt, a dash of pepper and a double dash of nutmeg.
- Lower the flame and cook for approximately 3 min., stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens and the flour lumps disappear. The flame needs to stay low after the initial boiling – if the sauce is too thick, you can add a little bit of milk and whisk well.
- Pour 6-7 tbs. of the sauce into the bottom of a Pyrex pan. Gently place a layer of lasagna noodles on top of the sauce and about a third of the sautéed vegetables on top of that.
- Repeat: sauce, noodles, 1/3 vegetables. Then, place thin slices of goat cheese, followed by another round of sauce, noodles and the last third of the vegetables, more sauce, more noodles (gently pressed down) and the final layer of sauce.
- Cover and bake for 50 min., until the lasagna noodles are fully softened.
- Chill in the fridge for 12 hours.
- About 20-25 min. before serving, preheat the oven and remove the lasagna from the fridge.
- Let the lasagna sit for 10-15 min. so it slightly warms up.
- Cut into servings, sprinkle with grated mozzarella and place in the oven until the cheese begins to bubble.
- Serve hot.