On Sunday, Iran announced that it would continue rolling back its commitments under the 2015 nuclear deal, and would enrich uranium above levels outlined under the agreement, in accordance with the needs of its nuclear industry. The move comes amid a major escalation of tensions with the US over the assassination of a senior Iranian commander.
US President Donald Trump reacted to Iran’s announcement on Monday with an all-caps tweet warning that Tehran would “NEVER HAVE A NUCLEAR WEAPON!” NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg echoed Trump’s sentiment later in the day, demanding that Iran “refrain from further violence and provocations”.
Israel’s Energy Ministry does not know yet whether or not Iran is on its way to building a nuclear bomb, Energy Minister Yuval Steinitz has said.
“It’s too early to say. We have to wait and see,” Steinitz said, speaking to Israel Radio on Tuesday.
During the interview, Steinitz, who sits on the State Security Cabinet, reiterated Israel’s long-standing pledge not to allow Iran to gain access to nuclear weapons. Commenting on the escalating conflict between Tehran and Washington over the assassination of Revolutionary Guards Quds Force Commander Qasem Soleimani, the minister said that so far, Israel has been “standing on the sidelines, observing events”.