Sun. May 29, 2016 Israel News

  • Video Editor: Roi Evron

Watch Israel’s Main Newscast in English Updated Daily at 10 PM Jerusalem Time, 3 PM New York Time, 8 PM London Time

Can’t see video? – Click Here
  • Police recommends indicting Sara Netanyahu over irregularities at Prime Minister’s residence
  • Habayit Hayehudi leader Naftali Bennet steps up threats to quit coalition if cabinet changes are not made
  • Security forces arrest Hamas cell responsible for bus explosion in Jerusalem last month

Israeli Police announced on Sunday that they handed over their findings to the State Prosecutor concerning the Prime Minister’s Residence affair. According to the Police, they gathered a substantial amount of evidence against the Prime Minister’s wife, Sara Netanyahu. It seems that there is sufficient evidence to indict not only Sara Netanyahu, but also the other two main suspects: Electrician Avi Fahima and Deputy Director for Operations at the Prime Minister’s Office, Ezra Saidoff. The probe began in February of 2015 with the approval of the Attorney General and the State Prosecutor. Their investigation focused on suspicions of several crimes. Sara Netanyahu has been accused of improper behavior and misuse of state funds relating to the Prime Minister’s Residence, including receiving goods under false pretenses, falsifying documents and breach of trust. In a Facebook post uploaded on behalf of the Netanyahu family, the prime minster denied any wrongdoing on behalf of his wife and said that police suspicions were baseless.  Meanwhile the Regional Labor Court ruled that Sara Netanyahu cannot appeal against the ruling in the case involving former employee Meni Naftali.The ruling was made after both sides’ claims were examined. Furthermore police have decided to close a sexual harassment case against Meni Naftali since they did not have sufficient evidence to pursue the allegations.

As the coalition crisis continues , the Israeli cabinet convened on Sunday and the cabinet vote on Avigdor Lieberman’s appointment to defense portfolio was postponed. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Israeli Education Minister Naftali Bennett met for the first time since the conflict between Ha-Bayit Ha-Yehudi and the Likud began after the coalition agreement was signed with Yisrael Beiteinu. Bennett related earlier to his demand for the cabinet changes saying he would go all the way threatening to veto Avigdor Lieberman’s appointment as defense minister “our demand is simple I will continue to fight and  defend IDF soldiers. I will be with the residents of the Gaza vicinity in the government or outside the government.”

Cleared for publication : a Hamas cell of six terrorists from Bethlehem were arrested in a Shin Bet, IDF and Israel Police joint operation. According to the suspicions, they are not only responsible for planning and carrying out the suicide bombing on Egged Line 12 a month ago but also for masterminding a series of terror attacks. In their interrogations, it was discovered that the terrorists created the explosive devices and makeshift bombs that the terrorist in the attack was wearing. In the terror attack, 19 people were injured.

Former Assistant Police chief Yoav Segalovitz, known for founding the “Israeli FBI” unit Lahav 433 and his role in corruption investigations of prominent politicians like former prime minister Ehud Olmert and soon-to-be defense minister Avigdor Liberman, announced he was joining the Yesh Atid party. Segalovitz said that he decided to enter politics because, after 28 years in the police, he wanted to continue serving the public.

And finally Israel announced on Sunday that Russia would return an IDF tank from the famous 1982 Sultan Yacoub battle in Lebanon, during which three Israeli soldiers — Zechariah Baumel, Tzvi Feldman and Yehuda Katz — disappeared. Prime Minister Netanyahu said in response “I want to thank Russian President Vladimir Putin for responding to my request to give Israel the tank from the Sultan Yacoub battle  “For 34 years the families of the missing [soldiers] who disappeared without a trace, have had no burial plot to go to,” Netanyahu said. “The tank, which is the only evidence from that battle, will now be returned to Israel.”.

Found mistakes in this report? – Click Here