The three terrorists who committed the terror attack last week in London attempted to rent a 7.5-ton truck, but failed to pay for it. Meanwhile, London police have rejected ISIS’ claim of responsibility.
The scene of the attack Photo Credit: Sky News / Channel 2 News
Scotland Yard released a statement today (Saturday) that the three terrorists who committed the terror act at London Bridge on June 3 in which eight people were murdered planned to commit a much larger act of terror. The three were planning to use a 7.5-ton rental truck, but they failed to pay for it.
In the terror attack, the three drove into a crowd at a high speed using a van and then left the vehicle in order to stab pedestrians on London Bridge. Local police revealed that the three had loaded the van with sacks of gravel, in all likelihood to increase the van’s weight so that they could use it as a “battering ram” against the pedestrians.
Scotland Yard’s counter-terrorism command chief Dean Haydon said that had the rental gone ahead, “the effects could have been even worse.” Haydon added that despite the fact that ISIS took responsibility, there is no evidence supporting the claim that the terrorist had been a part of a wider network. Following the terror attack, 12 were arrested and released within 24 hours without any charges pressed against them.
Several hours after Haydon’s statement, a 27-year-old man was arrested for possibly being involved in the attack, and his identity has not been made public yet. The three terrorists were named by the police as Khuram Butt, Rachid Redouane and Youssef Zaghba. All three resided in London. According to police, the ringleader was Butt, who was known to anti-terror police after his friends and neighbors reported him for watching inciting videos online. The other two terrorists were not known to the police.
“We cannot and must not pretend that things can continue as they are. Things need to change,” British Prime Minister Theresa May said following the attack. “It is time to say enough is enough.”