In a press briefing at the Pentagon, Mattis said Pyongyang’s latest test is still being examined, but it so far hasn’t shown that North Korea poses an imminent threat.
Photo credit: Channel 2 News
US Defense Secretary James Mattis says North Korea’s intercontinental ballistic missiles are not capable of reaching the US.
Pyongyang’s most recent test launch on November 28 “has not yet shown to be a capable threat against us right now,” Mattis said during a press briefing at the Pentagon. “We are still examining the forensics, we’re still doing the forensics analysis, it takes a while.”
At the time of the launch, Mattis said it showed that North Korea was working on a research and development program that could produce a missile capable of hitting “everywhere in the world.”
Kim Jong-Un Photo credit: North Korean television/Channel 2 News
On Friday, US President Donald Trump said he hopes to get more assistance from Russia in preventing North Korea from developing its nuclear program.
“China is helping, Russia is not helping,” Trump told reporters outside the White House. “We would like to have Russia’s help.”