The company said in a statement is would “not be involved with any further production” of its hit show if Spacey remained in it. Multiple allegations concerning the actor’s sexual conduct and behavior on set surfaced earlier this week.
Kevin Spacey Photo credit: Reuters/Channel 2 News
Netflix announced Saturday it is cutting its ties with actor Kevin Spacey, the star of its hit television show House of Cards, amid allegations of sexual harassment concerning him.
In a statement, the company said, “Netflix will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey.” It also announced it would not be moving forward with the release of Gore, a film in post-production starring and produced by Spacey.
The production of House of Cards was halted shortly after the allegations against Spacey surfaced earlier this week.
On Sunday, Buzzfeed published an interview with actor Anthony Rapp, who accused Spacey of harassing him back in the 1980s, when Rapp was only 14 and Spacey was in his mid-20s.
Spacey released a statement apologizing for the incident, which he claimed he did not recall. A few days later, Spacey’s publicist stated that the actor is “taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment.”