After the reports of several deaths in the anti-government riots in Iran surfaced, an Iranian official told state television during an interview that the police forces were not responsible for the deaths, Reuters reported on Sunday. According to the official, the protesters were killed by either foreign agents or Sunni extremists.
Protest in Iran Photo Credit: Screenshot
An Iranian official has claimed that the security forces were not responsible for the death of several protesters during the anti-government riots in Dorud on Saturday night, Reuters reported on Sunday.
Habibollah Khojastehpour, the deputy-governor of Iran’s Lorestan province, reportedly told state television today that the protesters were killed by either foreign agents or Sunni extremists. “No bullets were shot from police and security forces at the people,” the Washington Post quoted him as saying.
As previously reported by JOL, US President Donald Trump took to Twitter on Sunday to applaud the Iranian protesters. “These people are finally getting wise as to how their money and wealth is being stolen and squandered on terrorism,” Trump wrote. “The USA is watching very closely for human rights violations.”
Trump has criticized the Iranian regime on several occasions since the beginning of his presidency in January 2017. Earlier this month, Trump released his administration’s first national security strategy. In the document, he accused the Iranian government of trying to destabilize the Middle East. “Iran supports terrorist groups and openly calls for our destruction,” he added.