You can’t go through summer without making at least one plum cake. You know, the kind where the deep red of the plum bubbles through to say hello. This especially delicious plum cake is the recipe to try this summer.
Photo Credit: Yehuda Solomon
Prep time: 20 min., makes 12 servings
600-700 grams plums
50 grams shelled pistachios
20 grams vanilla sugar
150 grams Tnuva butter
1 cup (200 grams) + 2 tbs. sugar
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups (220 grams) flour
10 grams baking powder
1 tsp. corn flour
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tbs. crushed pistachios for garnishing
A little bit of powdered sugar for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Grease a round baking pan (24 cm in diameter) and line with baking parchment.
- Halve the plums and remove the pits (if using large plums, cut into quarters).
- Blend the pistachios and the vanilla sugar in food processor.
- Melt the butter in a medium pot over a low flame. Remove from the flame, add a cup of sugar and whisk well. Add the eggs and whisk again. Sift in the flour, baking powder add the pistachio crumbs and whisk until the batter is just even. Pour 3/5 of the batter into the pan and smooth.
- Mix the corn flour with the cinnamon and a tbs. of sugar and sprinkle on the cake batter. Place the plum halves on the batter – the sliced side up. Sprinkle the remaining tbs. of sugar on the plums; then, using two spoons, scoop the rest of the batter onto the plums.
- Bake for approx. an hour and a quarter, or until a toothpick placed in the middle of the cake comes out dry. Cool and then release from pan.
- Before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar and garnish with chopped pistachios.