Pyongyang has released footage of its most recent missile test over Japan, which was carried out earlier this week. Last night, North Korea warned that the test was only the first part of a large-scale operation. “There will be more launches,” the regime said in a statement.
Watch: North Korea’s latest missile launch
North Korea released Wednesday footage of the latest ballistic missile test it carried out, which drew waves of condemnation throughout the world. The state-run KCNA news agency confirmed Tuesday night that the latest missile test was launched from near the capital Pyongyang. The missile flew over Japan, triggering warning sirens in the country. According to the report, the missile test was a response to the US-South Korea joint military drill and is the first step in a large-scale operation. “There will be more launches,” a statement from the regime read.
The statement, which quotes North Korea’s leader Kim Jong-un, explains that the operation will include the US Pacific territory of Guam. “This was a drill simulating real war,” the statement read. “Leader Kim Jong-un led the test and was very pleased with the missile’s performance. There will be more launches. This was just the beginning.”
The launch Photo Credit: Reuters/Channel 2 News
Meanwhile, the UN Security Council issued a harsh condemnation against Pyongyang, saying that North Korea’s “actions are not just a threat to the region, but to all United Nations Member States.”
“The Security Council expresses its grave concern that the DPRK [North Korea] is, by conducting such a launch over Japan as well as its recent actions and public statements, deliberately undermining regional peace and stability,” read the statement, which was unanimously approved by the 15-member body. The UNSC members stated that the tensions with North Korea need to be dealt with but did not threaten to impose additional sanctions.
US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley said that her country will not allow North Korea’s “lawlessness to continue.” Russia’s ambassador to the UN said that Moscow expects the US to remove the missile defense system it set up in South Korea and stop the military drills in the region.
The missile Photo Credit: Reuters/Channel 2 News
British Prime Minister Theresa May, who is currently in Japan, welcomed the UNSC’s response to Pyongyang’s test. “These are illegal tests,” May told the BBC. “It is outrageous. It is provocative and they should be stopped.” May added that China needs to take a more active role in pressuring the North Korean regime to denuclearize and stop advancing its missile program.
Yesterday, JOL reported that US President Donald Trump responded to the latest North Korean test. “The world has received North Korea’s latest message loud and clear,” Trump said. “This regime has signaled its contempt for its neighbors, for all members of the United Nations, and for minimum standards of acceptable international behavior.”
Trump also had some threatening words for Kim: “Threatening and destabilizing actions only increase the North Korean regime’s isolation in the region and among all nations of the world. All options are on the table.”