Following a series of defeats in large primary states, Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders announced that he would be suspending his campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination, leaving former Vice President Joe Biden as the presumptive nominee to take on President Trump in November.

Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders said on Monday that it is “unlikely” that he will make another run for the presidency in the future.

While speaking to the Washington Post, the Jewish Senator said that a third presidential campaign would be extremely improbable.

“I think it’s very, very unlikely that I will be running for president ever again”, Sanders said in the interview.
The self-described democratic socialist added that “next time around” voters would probably see “another candidate carrying the progressive banner”.

The senator told the Washington Post that presumptive-Democratic nominee Joe Biden on his worst day would be “1,000 times better than Trump on his best day”.

He reaffirmed, however, that he and the former vice president “have very serious disagreements on policy”.

“It’s just hard for me to imagine how anybody can defend the current structure of our health care system”, he said in reference to Biden’s support for expanding the existing Obamacare system.
Sanders became the final candidate last month, in a string of contenders for the presidential nomination, to drop out of the race after a series of primary losses and the sudden revival of the Biden campaign.

The suspension saw the end of his second bid for the White House, which began in February of last year. Until February, Sanders was the frontrunner for the Democratic nomination due to his victory in the New Hampshire primary along with a landslide win in the Nevada caucuses.

While Vice President Biden’s campaign floundered, he was suddenly resuscitated after a number of other candidates suddenly dropped out, leading to a coalescing of the moderate Democratic vote in the South Carolina primary, which was followed by a series of victories throughout March.