A second suspect was arrested by police forces for possibly being involved in the Parsons Green underground explosion in London on Friday. Extensive searches took place yesterday in Surrey and military personnel were deployed to assist police forces as the investigation continues.

Searches in London

Searches in London Photo Credit: Reuters/Channel 2 News

A 21-year-old man was apprehended Sunday morning by police forces in connection with the Parsons Green London tube attack and is now being questioned. The 18-year-old suspect who was arrested on Saturday is still in custody.

UK police forces carried out searches yesterday in Sunbury-on-Thames in Surrey County, South East England, following the tube explosion that wounded 29 people. Police officials announced that security forces evacuated residents from the town as a “precaution” and conducted searches.


The area remains on high alert, with UK Prime Minister Theresa May raising threat level from “severe” to “critical.” Yesterday, an 18-year-old suspect was arrested in Dover. Police called the arrest “very significant.” Meanwhile, hundreds of British military personnel were sent to various UK locations to reinforce police forces that are busy with the investigation.

“For this period, military personnel will replace police officers on guard duties at certain protected sites that are not accessible to the public,” announced May. “The public will see more armed police on the transport network and on our streets, providing extra protection. This is a proportionate and sensible step which will provide extra reassurance and protection while the investigation progresses.”

UK police forces

UK police forces Photo Credit: Reuters/Channel 2 News

The Parsons Green tube attack was carried out using a homemade explosive device that reportedly did not completely denotate as planned and did not cause any deaths. The terror attack was the fifth to take place in Britain this year, with ISIS already claiming responsibility for it as the terror organization did after the previous attacks in London and Manchester this year.

According to a senior investigating officer, Mark Rowley, investigators were “making excellent progress” and police are “chasing down suspects.” In an official announcement, London mayor Sadiq Khan addressed the attack. “Our city utterly condemns the hideous individuals who attempt to use terror to harm us and destroy our way of life,” said Khan. “As London has proven again and again, we will never be intimidated or defeated by terrorism.”