White House press secretary Sean Spicer said that U.S. President Donald Trump was right “from the get-go” about the bomb threats that were made against Jewish centers throughout America recently. “This rush to judgment by a lot of folks on the left was wrong,” he said.
White House press secretary Sean Spicer Photo Credit: Reuters/Channel 2 News
White House press secretary Sean Spicer commented on the arrest of a young man in Ashkelon suspected of being behind most of the bomb threats that were made against Jewish centers in recent months. He rejected the criticism that U.S. President Donald Trump’s statements led to a rise in anti-Semitism. “This rush to judgment by a lot of folks on the left was wrong,” he said.
Spicer spoke about the incident on Monday evening during a press conference when he was asked about anti-Semitic and racist incidents throughout America. He mentioned Trump’s speech in front of Congress and stressed that the U.S. president called on everyone to condemn racist and anti-Semitic behavior regardless of their political affiliation. “We saw these threats coming into Jewish community centers and there was an immediate jump to criticize folks on the right,” he said. “The president from the get-go had said ‘I bet you it’s not someone [on the right]’ and he was right.”
Last week, the American media outlet The Daily Beast reported that the suspect slipped up during at least one of his bomb threats and this mistake helped police identify and locate him. According to the report, the suspect “grew careless” and forgot to route his Internet connection through a proxy server, a mistake that left behind a real IP address.
The suspect, last week Photo Credit: Channel 2 News
The report, which is based on American sources connected to the investigation, also stated that the suspect used Google Voice in order to disguise his voice and the cryptocurrency Bitcoin in order pay for services, which made it very hard to trace him.
According to police suspicions, the suspect, who is a Jewish U.S.-Israeli dual citizen, threatened more than 100 centers and organizations over the past few months. Among his targets were dozens of Jewish community centers and schools. He also made threats against Jewish centers in Europe, New Zealand and Australia.