Although last week US President Donald Trump tweeted that US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson should “save his energy” on diplomatic efforts with North Korea, Tillerson said in an interview today (Sunday) that Trump is “not seeking to go to war” and that diplomacy “will continue until the first bomb drops.”

Watch Below: Tillerson speaks on the administration’s plans for the Iran nuclear deal

Can’t see video? – Click Here

Today (Sunday), US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson denied reports that US President Donald Trump did not believe in a diplomatic solution to the crisis with North Korea, saying “those diplomatic efforts will continue until the first bomb drops.”

“The president has also made clear to me that he wants this solved diplomatically,” Tillerson said regarding the North Korean crisis in an interview on CNN’s “State of the Union,” adding,  “He is not seeking to go to war.”







Tillerson says Trump isn't

Tillerson says Trump isn’t “seeking to go to war” Photo Credit: Reuters/Channel 2 News

The Secretary of State also denied reports that the president “gelded” him of carrying out diplomatic moves. “I checked, I’m fully intact,” he said.

Earlier this month, Trump addressed Tillerson’s attempts to resolve the crisis. “I told Rex Tillerson, our wonderful Secretary of State, that he is wasting his time trying to negotiate with Little Rocket Man…'” Trump tweeted, referring to Kim Jong-un by a nickname he coined for him. “Save your energy Rex, we’ll do what has to be done!”

During the interview, Tillerson also referred to the nuclear agreement with Iran and to the fact that the president chose to decertify, though not cancel, the nuclear deal. “Let’s see if we can address the flaws in the agreement by staying within the agreement, working with the other signatories, working with our European friends and allies within the agreement,” he said. “We want to take the agreement as it exists today, as I said, fully enforce that agreement, be very demanding of Iran’s compliance under the agreement.”