During the Israeli Channel 1 live coverage of the 2017 Eurovision competition, broadcaster Ofer Nachshon bid farewell to the viewers. “Shortly, IBA will shut down its broadcasting forever, so on behalf of all of us here in IBA, let me say thank you Europe for all the magical moments,” he said. However, his speech was interpreted around the world as an announcement about Israel leaving the contest.
Photo Credit: Screenshot/Channel 2 News
Israeli broadcaster Ofer Nachshon bid farewell on Saturday night during the special broadcast for the 2017 Eurovision competition as he presented Israel’s awarding of points. This was Nachshon’s last official television appearance due to the decision to close the Israel Broadcasting Authority. With millions of Europeans watching the coverage, Nachshon thanked Europe for inviting him over the past few years to present his country’s points in the contest. However, his emotional speech was interpreted around the world as an announcement about Israel leaving the Eurovision contest.
Nachshon told the viewers that this was the last time that Israel’s points will be presented by IBA, which will close soon. He thanked the viewers and the organizers of the contest for welcoming Israel and expressed hope that next year, Israel will participate in the competition with the new broadcasting corporation.
“This is IBA Channel 1 calling from Jerusalem,” Nahshon said. “For the past 44 years Israel has participated in the Eurovision song contest, winning 3 times, but tonight is our final night. Shortly, IBA will shut down its broadcasting forever, so on behalf of all of us here in IBA, let me say thank you Europe for all the magical moments. Hopefully, we shall meet again in the future.”
“END OF AN ERA Israel quits Eurovision 2017 live on air after 44 years,” read the headline of the article published by the British newspaper the Sun. Similar headlines were published by the Mirror and media outlets around the world. No clarification has been released by Israel so far.